Pageviews last month

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Seattle Trip

In the middle of June, myself and three of my co-workers (2 speech pathologists & 1 other audiologist) took a trip to Seattle to attend CI (cochlear implants) 2009. It was a great conference, with a focus on pediatrics. We learned a lot and had a wonderful time. We were there from Wednesday until Saturday/Sunday.
However, this was my first time away from Lucas for more than one day. Ryan had a lot of help from my mom and his parents while I was gone. It was hard for me to be away and was definitely happy to return by the time the trip was over. I really missed Ryan & Lucas!
One the first day (Wed.), we had a little bit of extra time before dinner to go sightseeing.
Our hotel was within walking distance to Pike's Place, the famous market.

Here's Karenna (my co-worker) with the bunch of flowers we couldn't resist buying for our room.

We liked all the creative signs that the vendors put on their produce to prevent people from touching them.


We were lucky enough to find a cardboard type vase to
use for our flowers. Don't they look wonderful!?! They smelled amazing too!
Thursday night, we were on our own for dinner.
Karenna picked out this great Thai restaurant with a water view off one of the piers.
The view from our table
It was actually fairly nice weather while were in Seattle.

Appetizers & Drink
Here is shot of our tasty muscles, sweet potato fries (with an aioli dipping sauce) and my key lime martini (with a mermaid lounging on the side of the glass).
What a delicious dinner!

Friday night, all the companies and the conference sponsored an evening out.
They rented the Science Center next to the Space Needle.
We had access to the whole Center, including the laser show and the butterfly conservatory.

All the ladies with Cochlear Corporation's Kaci Koala

The Space Needle with omnious clouds in the background
Outside of the Science Center

Inside the butterfly house
Here are all the different cocoons that are waiting to hatch.
It was cool to see all the different sizes and colors next to each other.

Space Needle at night
Saturday, after the conference was over, I had the chance to meet up with my friend, Elizabeth, and her family. I know her from grad school. They live out in Olympia and made the trip up so we could spend the afternoon together. Her husband is Ricky. They have 2 children, Stuart (almost 3 years old) and Ella (almost one year old).

Here's Ella watching Stuart & Daddy get on the merry-go-round

Stuart riding on the bench....at first.

Ricky & Stuart
After he switched to the big horse!

Elizabeth & Ella
On our way to the aquarium

This was a diver doing a demonstration in one of the tanks.
This is showing how thick the glass is!
Hi Ella!
Do you know you have a boyfriend back in Maryland?

Stuart & I pose in the octopus

The Cornish Family

Me with the Cornish Family
(One of Liz's co-workers is actually on the cruise ship leaving port behind us.)
Stuart & me
He is getting so big! And only getting cuter!
This is what Stuart looked like the last time we had our picture taken together:
It's been too long!

Ella and me...she is such a sweetheart!

The girls!
It was great to visit with them! Even if it was only for a short amount of time.
Our flight back was a red-eye. It didn't leave until almost 11pm.
To make things even more interesting, the plane was packed with a group of 50 fourteen year olds! My co-worker was in line at the store before we took off and had a group of them in front of her in line. What she overheard went something like this....."Do you like him? Because I can totally tell that you like him. Seriously." Oh what fun?!
I was exhausted by the time I got home. Lucas was napping, so I took my own little nap while he was sleeping. I hope the next time I go to Seattle Ryan and Lucas get to come with me. It's a pretty cool place.

No comments: